Thanksgiving

Thursday, November 25th

Tuesday evening we set sail from the beautiful port of Yokohama where a band of drums came to salute our departure.  Next stop, Honolulu....in ten days.  Yes ten days!   And I'm really looking forward to that time at sea.  The last few weeks have been incredibly hectic  as we've moved from country to country with little break in between.  OK, so that's not such a bad problem to have.
 

 Some of you may realize that I was scheduled to travel home yesterday.  I did in fact have a flight from Tokyo, but decided to stay on for the journey across the Pacific.  Crossing the ocean by ship is something I've always wanted to do, not to mention I wanted the time to unwind from this incredible adventure.  And of course, I'm way behind on my blog.

Today we celebrated Thanksgiving on the MV Explorer.    I had dinner with my ship "family"..... life learners are asked to serve as surrogate families for the students...and we tried to capture a bit of the feeling of home.  Still, with  no relatives, no ballgames, and no dishes to wash I think a lot of us were feeling a bit nostalgic. 


But then I found my connection to home through Brooke.  As usual, Marc and  sister Gail are doing their annual Thanksgiving extravaganza.  Among the guests this year are a Princeton family who just happen to  have a college aged daughter who just  happens to be traveling with Semester at Sea.  Small world!   We finally met tonight.


While I'm missing Thanksgiving in Princeton,  I'm  ever so grateful that I've been able to go on this amazing journey around the world.

HERE'S WISHING YOU ALL A VERY HAPPY THANKSGIVING !

No comments:

Post a Comment