Bienvenido a Espana

SUNDAY

While they were giving last call in New York, I arrived in Madrid as the sun was rising.  From there I flew to the southern city of Jerez de la Frontera, the closest airport to the city of Cadiz.  That's  where I'll meet up with the ship from Semester at Sea.

 My hotel  in Jerez is an old mansion  with beautiful gardens and a swimming pool.  That didn't mean much to me when I made the reservation, but given how hot it gets here in the afternoon its a definite plus.  On my first evening here I was surprised to find how charming the city is.  The streets are filled with locals out enjoying their city, but there don't seem to be that many tourists--- well at least not American tourists....so I'm finding it necessary to call upon what I can remember of high school Spanish.



Jerez is the world's sherry capital and late August, early September is harvest time.  Each year, at  before the harvest, the city holds a ceremony at the cathedral to bless the grapes...and I was lucky enough to witness this on Sunday.  It's an elaborate event with orchestra, flamenco dancers and singers, baskets of grapes delivered to the front of the cathedral...all followed by the church blessing and then the crushing of the first grapes.  Not a bad way to start my first day.





No comments:

Post a Comment