Welcome to the Southern Hemisphere


Wednesday, September 28th

 ALL POLLYWOGS REPORT TO DECK SEVEN!
That was our wakeup call this morning, followed shortly after by
the sounds of a ragtag band dressed in togas marching through the
hallways banging symbols and drums.  Welcome to Neptune Day! 

Up until a week ago Neptune was only a planet to me.  But as our ship approached the equator, there were whispers of  some sort of ritual that involved kissing a fish and jumping in a pool of water that was not the drinking variety.  And then I was asked  if I planned to shave my head.  I don't think so.

As I learned, Neptune Day is not just another activity that the ship plans for the entertainment of our college students.  It's an ancient sea ritual performed when you cross the equator, and from what I can gather,  it was originally intended as a way for sailors to prove their sea worthiness.  OK so some things do change.

Neptune Day is when a pollywog officially becomes a "shellback" (And you thought I wasn't learning anything on this trip).  In our case, we became "Emerald Shellbacks."  That's because we crossed the equator and the prime meridian at the same time.  I'm going to have to add this to my resume.




KING NEPTUNE (aka The Academic Dean)




THE FISH (Held by Business Entrepreneur and Life Learner Craig)

HONORED GUESTS...Desmond & Leah Tutu

  

ITS OFFICIAL...
 

MEET THE NEW EMERALD SHELLBACKS
(Do you think there were any second thoughts the next day?)

No comments:

Post a Comment