Cadiz & My New Home: The MV Explorer

September 7-8


 I headed to the port city of Cadiz today where I would hook up with my home for the next 3 months:  the MV Explorer.  As we drove through the industrial port area and the modern part of the city I was sure glad I had opted for a taxi rather than the train--until I saw that the train station was right next to where our ship was docked.  After checking my large suitcase, I went off to see Cadiz.

 


Historians say Cadiz is the oldest town on the Iberian Peninsula.  And while the  old part of the city seemed quite large and overwhelming with its endless narrow winding streets, the city has conveniently developed a color coded system that allows you to  tour the various historic sites.  Just follow the colored line of the tour you want to do --it's painted (discreetly) on the side of the cobblestone streets.


I also ventured down to the newer part of Cadiz to the beautiful ocean beach of Playa Victoria.  This area is filled with hotels and cafes right off the ocean.  I even found nephew Randy's favorite bar from his days studying in Spain.
Its hard to say what I enjoyed most, but I definitely liked this city.  In the market area I found  fruits and vegetables displayed as if for a magazine ad.  Then there's the food:  the tapas,  the restaurant El Faro which  is every bit as good as the reviews claim it to be.  The old city where it seemed everytime you turn a corner  you  run into a square with cafes,  parks, and at least a church or two (this is Spain after all).  And then when the sun starts to set there's also a beautiful  paseo overlooking the ocean.
 I couldn't close my visit here without a note on Spain's concern for the environment and energy conservation--windmills, dual flush toilets and key cards.  My first night in Jerez, there appeared to be no electricity in my room.  When I told the concierge, he pointed to my room key.  There was a card on the key chain--that card gets inserted in a small box in the room and activates the lights.  When you leave the room and take your key, it insures all the lights are off.   Think we could put some of those ideas to work at home.

And now on to the MV Explorer and a "Semester at Sea."  Next destination? Morocco

No comments:

Post a Comment